Gave a 1-hour presentation alongside Josh Torres, which included time for audience Q&A.
- 45 minutes of fireside chat
- 15 minutes of Q&A
PRIME is dedicated to celebrating and providing a platform for Pearson employees that are racially and ethnically diverse.
There were ~25 employees in attendance.
- career journey (challenges and successes)
- best practices for establishing/growing your Latinx ERG, Fuego
- plugging into global community of Latinx professionals, Techqueria
- personal journey as a Latinx professional in tech
- Fuego ERG
- Techqueria – community
- fireside chat
- technical side
- DEI Progression and commitment
- increasing diverse representation in certain roles
- [Josh to Frances] How would you sum up your identity in a Tweet?
- [Frances to Josh] And Josh, same question for you — how would you sum up your identity with just a Tweet?
- [Josh to Frances] Frances, you are a first-generation Latina on building your career in Tech. Could you tell us what were the main challenges or barriers that you faced as such?
- [Frances to Josh] How has being a Queer Puerto Rican played a role in your development as a leader?
- [Josh to Frances] So shifting gears a bit, I want to talk about your ERG leadership work. You previously co-led the Fuego ERG at Slack which is the employee resource group for Latinx and Hispanic employees. How were you able to jumpstart that during the pandemic?
- [Frances to Josh] Based on your experience with ERGs, what are your thoughts on how ERGs should be supported and structured inside tech companies?
- [Frances] What advice do you have to share with other Latinx employees who want to start an ERG at their companies?
- [Frances to Josh] You’re currently a board advisor for Techqueria – could you describe in a few words what Techqueria is, and what is its mission and purpose?
- [Josh to Frances] Let’s talk about how your involvement in the DE&I area started… What are the things that you saw or experienced in your career -or personally- that fueled the desire of doing something for the Latinx community and other groups?
- [Frances to Josh] And how did you get involved as a board advisor for Techqueria? And why did it feel important to get involved?
- [Josh to Frances] What could people at Pearson do to help Techqueria or the Latinx community in tech, in general?
- [Frances to Josh] Okay Josh, I know we’re nearing our time for Q&A. Any final pieces of advice you want folks to take away from this conversation?
- [Josh to Frances] And to add on to that – any last words of wisdom for employees at Pearson?
- [Josh] Okay let’s break for Q&A. Please type into chat any questions you have for either me or Frances or feel to come off of mute and ask your question to us directly
Last updated on December 27th, 2022