My interview with Coding House.
Interview with Coding House with Nick James and Samer Buna
answers were paraphrased or just referenced verbatim
personal comments are highlighted
Part 1: The Application 📝
Once they received my application, I was told to call Nick to go over what my goals were with the program and to get know each other (30 minute call) and then was requested to call Samer to go over my technical skills.
The call with Nick took place December 19, and then I contacted Samer December 20, where he got to know more of what my technical background was.
Both calls were pretty informal and did not require me to complete any technical challenge.
Part 2: The Interview (with Nick) 📞
- How many college students have you had in the past? About 95% of our students have a bachelors, 60% have a Masters, and about 1/3 have a background in computer science.
- How would say people get along in the house? Everyone gets along. They make basically friends for life.
- What kind of process do your instructors go through? Our lead instructor went to CMU and has been coding for 20 years. Every instructor needs the ability to transfer knowledge and be an awesome developer. Instructors will usually explains a high level concept for 15 to 20 minutes then ask you to apply that knowledge for 10 minutes. TAs are there help you in the process from 9 am to 2 am, 7 days a week. And the process repeats itself, they explain something and by the end of it you end up building applications. The curriculum itself is 100% project based – 100%. The lectures are nontraditional, you are building real life things.
- Do you have any meetings just between the cohort and founders? Yes, weekly, we bring them into our office for an individual learning assessment.
The Decision 💡
I got in!
Here’s part of the email they sent me…
Congratulations your in!
Unfortunately, that’s not a typing error on my part.
- deposit should be submitted
- standard background check is needed
- bootcamp agreement needs to be signed
- there is no hard date to submit the deposit since they accept people on a rolling basis but Nick recommended sooner than later
Once all that is taken care of, they’ll let you access their internal website to get started with the pre-work at home.
I also have shared my interview experience with bootcamps such as